Friday, January 21, 2011

DAY 9: Networking Is Key...

Networking is the key to success and that concept is universally applicable. Relationships and communication are the life boats of any business from the company as a whole right down to the most junior position. This idea of networking has served me well throughout my life, but I don’t always use it to my advantage. My perspective is that if you agree to leverage your contacts for another person with the underlying mutual agreement that they do the same for you when possible, then we could throw away the idea that networking is a necessary evil requiring you to use people. It’s not a form of deception unless you have no intention of returning the favor. And it’s a really great way to make friends with people that share your desire to evolve and succeed. The point here is not to befriend people for their networking skills, but to be open to the idea that you may be able to help out this friend at some point – a friend you may not have were it not for your willingness to network! I’m slowly learning to drown out my intimidation and focus on really connecting with people I find interesting and cool!
Last night I put this skill to use. I attended a social gathering in Hollywood that had a mix of entertainment and social-slash-digital media professionals. Travis, my husband, set this engagement up (yes, he’s amazing!) and we attended the event together. As I’ve mentioned, he’s on track to receive an MBA from Harvard Business School (HBS) in 2012. Part of the awesome-ness that is HBS includes these winter “treks” to areas saturated with Harvard Alums. Basically, the school and these companies work together to pack each day full of panel discussions, meet & greets, mock interviews and the like in an effort to facilitate the acquisition of stellar summer internships. He just got back from Silicon Valley where most of the social and digital media and technology companies prosper! This week he’s on the “Hollywood” trek. There is a staggering number of Harvard Alums managing and running the entertainment world. Two nights ago, Travis met a very cool guy at an alum dinner who invited him to the get-together we attended last night. I was slightly surprised to find that everyone in the room was friendly and engaging. I guess I expected more of the stereotypical attitudes that people have warned me about, but every conversation I had was interesting, genuine and helpful. Several of my new friends have agreed to grab coffee or lunch with me and tell me about their experiences in the industry. I’ll wait to confirm with them that they’re ok with me blogging about their companies and personal experiences. Some of these people run or work for companies that are so impressive and innovative! I look forward to sharing more about what they do and hopefully incorporating an idea or two from their business model into my own!
On a more personal note, Travis leaves tomorrow :( Fortunately, I have more than enough work to keep my attention off that. Until Valentine’s Day that is, haha. First time in 7 years I’ll be spending it without him. I guess I’ll just have to do something drastic and magnificent with my career in the next couple weeks so I can take time off to fly to Boston!
P.S. – Watch The Secret if you haven’t been introduced to the Law of Attraction yet. The film has a simple and fantastic explanation and I live it moment to moment!
9 DOWN. 81 TO GO.
Much Love,
Kirstin

1 comment:

  1. I have really been enjoying reading your blogs!! They give me motivation. Everyone knows how hard and what a struggle life can be, but people don't actually talk about this. I think it is therapeutic to read a blog like yours because it has that, as we like to say in Journalism, human value (makes it real and relatable). Keep up the great work!! Love you shisher.

    ReplyDelete